Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Back Into the Swing

Hello everybody out there. I hope life is treating you all well and keeping you on your toes.  Lately I have been looking at my life with critical eyes. I have figured out that I don't want to get to the end of my life and realize that i have played it safe.  Look back on my days and see that I never risked anything for the greater good of people.  Only because i was worried about my life and how it would turn out for me.  I don't want to live a life that gratifies my comfort at the cost of others suffering.  I am tired or worrying about what tomorrow holds, when there are so many needs to be met all around me in the present.  I am writing this because i see it in my life.  I all to often forget how short life is, how fragile it is.  I am coming against my faults, fear, distrust, selfishness, and pride.  It scares me when i think that i could live my whole life, and still miss the big picture. I might be ignoring the poor man outside my gate, and not even see it. This is something that i have been processing lately.  I hope this opens some eyes that have been distracted or temporarily shut.  I know that in my own life i have realized that i have been living a half truth. I know that it will be challenging to get out of the rut i have been in. I know also it is possible.

As far as the title of this blog goes.  I started Chinese language classes on Monday.  I have a whole new respect for everyone in our family here who speaks the language. Especially my lovely sister Heather.  Who can speak very well. And who is the mother of four children, six if you include Matt and I.  It has been a lot of fun starting to learn the tones and some pronunciations of simple words.  They aren't kidding you when they say Chinese is one of the hardest languages to learn.  I am thankful for a small class of three. One of the guys in the class is a friend of the family and has studied for six months already. He is super helpful when i just don't get it.  Which is a decent amount of the time.

 I am excited for the challenge of learning Chinese. A little fearful of the days when i will be so tired of trying that I won't want to go to class. But for those days i have an amazing family to show me i am loved even though i can't speak Chinese worth a garbage. I have a brother who will tell me my tones are spot on, when in his head he is thinking, he is doomed. And three beautiful nieces who will show me love even when i am grumpy in the mornings.  I am very thankful for Matt and Heather right now.  Without them i would not be here in China. I know that this time will be filled with adventure, trial, growth, and fruit.  I am excited for what the future holds, yet devoting my full attention to the present.  Living by example as best i can.

1 comment:

  1. Daniel, proud of you buddy. Sounds like great things are happening both in and around you. I just picked up your brother from Pierre on Saturday. He's had an interesting time adjusting to being back home. I'm sure you can understand. Much Love, Ryan

    ReplyDelete